Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Self Portrait In Creation of Destruction

"A Self Portrait in Creation of Destruction" focuses on the exploration of the studio space in relation to the college studio setting and how, as students we struggle against time. Furthermore it explores the aspect that normally, we endure through this struggle creating objects we rarely can keep but have put ourselves entirely into.

To explore this concept I gave myself two days, one in which to create an object, and the second to destroy it. Because this piece is geared towards the self I decided the object to be created would be a self portrait from clay. I chose to work with 150 lbs of clay and on the first day, through the practice of creating several small portraits I would then create a larger one. On the second day, in order to create a parallel to the time it took to make it, I destroyed it in the same time frame. My days started at 12:30pm and ended at 8:30pm.

I chose to embellish my "studio" with several clocks and mirrors. As I worked I had alarm clocks going off through out the day, sounding closer and closer as my deadline neared. I used the space as I would a studio, drawing on the walls to help aid my thought process.

Day 1:






Day 2:













No comments:

Post a Comment