Thursday, February 11, 2010

"Justin's Bread"


Although it is not on the blog, luckily I took my own picture of the toast! At first I did not understand the use of bread for a self portrait. After stepping back I did notice a use of line and color. The bread was toasted and burnt, but all the pieces together formed lighter lines where it wasn't charred. Although I don't see a face or any specific image necessarily, I appreciate the delicate whisper of swirly lines running through the piece.

I like how there is variation of how the toast was placed, alternating rows of upside-down pieces. I think that helps all the pieces blend together and be seen as a whole composition instead of individual rows of toast.

I think with that in mind, the careful consideration of placement and delicate transition of shades, I don't like the surface used to display the toast and the half pieces on the end. The foam board is torn at the top and one side, and the bread halves just show less appealing craftsmanship than the whole left side of the piece. I also don't know what to make of using nails to attach the material. I can see the nails, so I think something on the backside that was not visible would better the piece. Nails do not really associate with bread, even toothpicks would work better because they are related to food. I would be interested to hear the artists' statement of what toast means to them and why they chose that material for use in a self portrait.

No comments:

Post a Comment