Thursday, January 28, 2010

Research



Left: Common Light Bulb
Above: Hoover Dam (Google Maps)



I came to the decision of my object after the choice of my geological location. Thinking mainly about being man made, I found the Hoover Dam to be a location that broke the line of the natural landscape and was man made as well. After deciding on the dam, i thought about objects that paired well to be later sculpturally represented. Leading to the light bulb which represents a couple things. Those being the manifestation of energy, the use and impact of light in general, and lastly being an iconic and easily recognizable object.

Finding a location came out of the frustration in choosing an object, thinking about how the relationship between object and location connected lead me first in the direction of the grand canyon. But i wanted a deeper sense of man made, then leading me to things in our landscape that are man made. My research in changes in the country's geological landscape be man lead me to the Hoover Dam. And how, as humans our species leads in physically changing our environment to suite our own needs. (Sharing this title with only one other species, the beaver)

The connection between the two subject at hand is the production of energy by the hoover dam, being represented by image of a light bulb.

No comments:

Post a Comment