Friday, January 29, 2010

Research


The object I picked was the telephone. I am very interested in the whole concept of communication and how we as humans interact with one another. Our growth as a society has moved families farther a part so a need to keep in contact has lead for us to be able to talk with someone without them being physically next to you. That whole idea was and is groundbreaking, the fact that we can talk to someone half way across the world with one simple dial of an object we call a telephone; which was merely part of a system already in place, has now lead to the internet where we can video chat with someone miles away.
The location I chose was Hinesburg VT, which the town in which I grew up in and currently reside. It clearly has significance to me because of all the memories that have taken place in that town. I am interested in the idea of memories and what makes something memorable versus the things that our brain decides is unimportant and forgotten. And how we categorize certain memories based from objects or places.
I had originally picked the telephone because I liked the aesthetics of the object and what it represented, which was the idea of communication. I wanted to pick a place that was important to me, and I felt as though my hometown and my house is my center base for which I need to communicate. It is really intriguing how these two ideas of communication and memories relate in many different ways. From a phones ability to memorize and store numbers, to our own brains capability to store knowledge and events of the past that we find meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment