Thursday, January 28, 2010


The object that I chose is Elily, a stuffed animal elephant that I’ve had for as long as I could remember. I’ve slept with her almost every night of my entire life, and she means the world to me. No matter where I am in the world, Elily is what makes me at home. She is a manufacture mass-produced object that defines home for me.

Gambier, Ohio is home to Kenyon College and the Kenyon Summer Conference (KSC). I attended KSC, a weeklong gathering of Episcopal fellowship, every summer for 16 years. I looked forward to that one week I would spend in Gambier every year. I have the best memories from KSC and no other place that can evoke as much emotion as Gambier does. One week out of every year Gambier was the greatest place on the planet.

I chose Elily and Gambier because I am very attached to both. The image that others see when they on upon either are nothing compared to my relationship and history with both. They both evoke very powerful emotions about safety, security, and home. They are both things that I wish to never forget no matter where I am in life. They are both very deep in meaning even when the landscape is no so drastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment