Friday, January 29, 2010



View Larger Map



Over the summer, I traveled to Arizona to visit the Grand Canyon with my family- a lifelong goal for a family vacation. Throughout our stay we found a vast array of cheaply made jewelry and bought a couple cheap things as tokens of the trip. On the final day, we came to a scenic outlook and stopped to have a picnic lunch and enjoy the warm weather and incredible view. My mom called me over to one of the booths and we became immersed in conversation with the artist who, it turns out, did all of her own work- the quality of her craftsmanship was incredible and she became an inspiration to both my mother and I as we have been struggling to develop our jewelry business for the past 6 years. That day after many hours of shared stories, my parents bought me this ring as my August Christmas gift as a memory of our time together in Arizona.

The Grand Canyon, though perhaps over publicized, is truly beautiful- an incredible inspiration. My mother and I would sit every day and paint or draw from the land around us. We spent an immense amount of time together and truly became close friends for the first time in our lives together in the canyon. There is something magical about the world as you stare down into a one mile tall gap in the ground- you realize that as cliche as it may sound, anything is possible- that there are infinite possibilities in every facet of life.

When we returned home, my mother and I had found the inspiration to create a new line that has improved our business significantly. The colors and textures of those beautiful canyons, our red rock climbs and the vast open sky penetrated our work and distinctly rendered themselves in sterling, gold and countless cabs. Each piece we made became another moment, another memory of our time together and this ring that I wear everyday is the strongest reminder of all how important a simple family vacation can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment