Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dave Mykins- Research



The object that I finally decided on choosing was a floor clock. (my first idea was stairs, but I realized that it wasn't getting me very far.) Also, something as intricate as a clock would give me more opportunities to think about what processes went in to manufacturing it. Although I did find some images of some pretty sweet staircases, I decided that clocks were more personally interesting to me.(though I always enjoy a good awe-inspiring staircase.)

To be honest, I was really more concerned about the way that my geographic location would look than the object I chose. I was thinking more about the finished project than the thought that went into it. When I learned that we were going to be doing 3-D models of landscapes, I immediately thought about mountain ranges. the Poconos were the first that came to mind. so the first day in the computer lab I made the first model of an area in that mountain range. At that point I was still a bit confused on what the actual project was about. When I learned that the landscape was supposed to be based on the object I needed to change my location. At this point I was still settled on stairs as my object, and since stairs are usually made of wood, I began looking for logging companies. Since I believe the Poconos run through Pennsylvania I started searching for logging sites in that state. One of the towns I found is the location of the current model I have. Since I changed my object, I may need to change my location again. I suppose that I could keep my current location, but a town where they cut down trees for lumber is pretty vague. Who's to say that this particular wood from this particular place is used to make grandfather clocks? I should probably do more research and get a new location.

The connection between a Logging town and grandfather clocks is pretty vague, but also straight-forward at the same time. Like I said, It's kind of a stretch, and I plan on doing more research on the project.  

No comments:

Post a Comment