Thursday, January 28, 2010

Research

When I first got this project I did not really know what I wanted to choose for an item, and they always say that you should stick to what you know.  The last paintings I did for my painting class involved a lot of geometric figures, mostly squares, so I thought it would be nice to play off of that.   As I was thinking about the project, I went to the store and bought a candy bar and it hit me, a chocolate bar.  They had the individual pieces that you could break off that were definitely square shaped but they also have organic curves in between, and I liked that about them.























Now, for the location I wanted to find something that had some relation to me but it also needed to be connected to chocolate.  I came up with Hershey, Pennsylvania.  It just seemed right.  A city with a theme park and a love of chocolate, what better way to represent yourself?













I feel it is almost a little too obvious how they connect but at the same time it isn't.   Obviously, Hershey, Pennsylvania is home to the chocolate production companies of the Hershey Corporations but I like the way they both draw you in.  Chocolate is so tempting by itself but when you throw amusement park rides into the mix I think you had another layer of desire.  I enjoy the element of desire and want that occurs with this location and with chocolate as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment